I remember laying on the floor reading stories with Nana; walking her loop around their property in the humid Illinois air; gathering eggs from the hen house; picnics on the old farm; watching Andy Griffith in the middle of the afternoon; catching fireflies; playing board games. I remember being disgusted when she showed me how to clean the fish we caught at Mac's; being impressed when we taught her to snow ski in her 70's; being proud when she taught me how to make my first pineapple-upside down cake; being almost frightened when I was a little girl and she snapped at me for laying down in the backseat without my seat belt on - still the only time I recall seeing her angry; being devastated when I first witnessed the disease taking away her sharp mind.
What I remember most fondly were our early mornings together. With the possible exception of my teenage & college years, I have always been an early riser. However, at Nana's I always woke up even earlier than usual because I knew that meant I would get time alone with Nana (and often Papa) before everyone else woke up. We would sit out in the Adirondack chairs on the back patio, Nana sipping her coffee and eating her thinly sliced toast, me eating the sugar cereal that she bought for us and hid in the cupboard below the counter. This little ritual began when I was quite small, so I don't even recall what we talked about, just that we were together, and that was enough.
During her later years, I remember her giggling when she didn't know what else to say or do; her continued love of people and nature; the way her eyes lit up and for a few brief moments, we caught a glimpse of the real Nana again when she first met Grace, Isaac & Kolby.
I sure wish I could have been in Illinois last week to celebrate her life, but I know she was well honored and I've been celebrating from afar. I love you Nana, thank you for the example of a life well lived.



3 comments:
Thank you my dear sweet Elizabeth, what a lovely tribute to our Mom and Nana. You were always her special "Littlebit"
Love you
Mom
You always have such a better way with words than me. Very well put, we wish you could have been there too!
Beautiful words Elizabeth- what a wonderful way to honor your Nana and testify to her beautiful life and the way she loved extravagantly! Thank you for sharing your heart!
Post a Comment